Production Development & Production Manager
Submit Your Application (On Site) Los Angeles, CA
The Product Development and Production Manager at Jeffree Star Cosmetics is responsible for overseeing and managing the product development lifecycle from approved concept to shelf. The role requires a deep understanding of the beauty industry, current and emerging trends, as well as excellent organizational and leadership skills to ensure the timely and efficient launch of high-quality products.
- Product Development: Lead all stages of product development, from approved concept to launch, ensuring timely delivery and quality assurance.
- Review Product Briefs – including: features & benefits of formula, packaging direction, fill desire, target cost, expected in-house date, initial open order qty, pcs needed for photography, pcs needed for sales/marketing.
- Competitive analysis – competitive brands average SRF, avg fill weight, similar ingredients/story. This will help us establish SRP, which in turn helps us establish target cost.
- COGS – includes fill cost, primary and secondary pkg cost, proposed SRP, projected open order qty, and profit.
- Quotes - request after formula is finalized.
- Regulatory - Request all regulatory documents as soon as formula/shades are approved. Submit dossier to Biorius and regulatory team.
- Safety testing - initiate as soon as a formula is approved. Confirm that all tests pass before issuing.
- Supplier Relations: Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with vendors and manufacturers, ensuring high standards of quality, cost-effectiveness, and ethical practices.
- Production Oversight: Oversee the production process, ensuring optimal efficiency, quality control, and timely delivery of products to market.
- Oversee batches: - batch review and approval
- Establish Range boards - Review overall formula and set acceptable range for CM to follow.
- Retains - establish batch retains "in glass" as well as FG's. Keep organized in-house for at least 3 years. Establish new retains after three years.
- Masters - keep master "JS approved lab submission" for future batch comparison.
- QC – oversee review and approve incoming FG's.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Partner with marketing, sales, and creative departments to ensure cohesive product storytelling and successful market launches.
- Leadership: Foster an environment of collaboration, innovation, and continuous learning.
- Budget Management: Develop and oversee budgets related to product development and production, ensuring a balance between quality and cost-effectiveness.
- Communication: Work closely with Vice President of Creative Development in shaping the brand's product vision. Regularly report on product development statuses, challenges, and opportunities.
- Passionate about beauty and aesthetics.
- Adaptable and responsive to the fast-paced nature of the beauty industry.
- Ability to think creatively and outside of the box.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Collaborative mindset and ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Solution-oriented with a proactive approach to challenges.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in cosmetics product development or a similar role.
- Demonstrated understanding of cosmetics formulation, production processes, and industry standards.
- Strong analytical, project management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines.
- Exceptional communication and team leadership abilities.
- Passion for beauty and cosmetics.